Featured Faculty: Vincent Bird, MD

Bio_birdI received my undergraduate education at Boston University, and attended medical school at the State University of New York, Stony Brook, where I received my medical degree with distinction in research involving cellular processes related to cancer and inflammation. I completed my urology residency training at the University of Miami, and continued with my fellowship training in minimally invasive surgery and urinary stone disease at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics.

At the conclusion of my fellowship, I was given a clinical science award by the Endourological Society for research relating to patterns of treatment for urinary stone disease. I then returned to the University of Miami where I remained a faculty member for 8 years, with a focus on minimally invasive kidney surgery and urinary stone disease. I received my certification from the American Board of Urology in 2005. I am currently an Associate Professor of Urology in the Department of Urology, at the University of Florida.

I primarily specialize in the areas of urinary stone disease/renal obstruction and renal cancer using minimally invasive treatments. My focus on urologic disease involves determining the exact nature of disease processes, providing the highest quality minimally invasive procedures, and looking into further strategies for future disease prevention. I believe that it is only through the employment of all of these strategies that we can help patients most with their disease process and provide them with the highest quality of life. I have substantial experience with how imaging technologies are used in the diagnosis of disease and in selection of appropriate care. It is important for patients to know that noninvasive high quality imaging can play a large role in determination of which invasive procedures, if any, are needed.

Individual patients have individual needs, and as such, it is important to be able to provide patients with the treatment that is best suited for them. Both through training and extensive experience I am able provide interventions that are uniquely tailored to the individual. I also believe it is important to treat the patient as their conditions affect them. As such, I also focus on further care for prevention of further disease. Such interventions may include lifestyle modifications, dietary changes, supplement, and pharmaceutical therapies. Some of our recent studies suggest that lifestyle and dietary habits may play a significant role in prevention and control of a variety of urologic disease processes. At the University of Florida, Department of Urology, we are in the continuous process of evaluating urologic disease conditions and providing the newest and most comprehensive forms of treatment. I have a strong interest in how new technologies and related techniques can be used to diagnose cancer and better describe urinary stones in new noninvasive ways.

My research focuses on treatment and prevention of urinary stone disease as well as developing imaging technologies that better identify and characterize urinary stones and can also be used to diagnose cancer in noninvasive ways. I also participate in basic science research involving identification of new testing/markers which may aid in the diagnosis of different/aggressive types of kidney cancers. Medical care is in a continuous state of evolution, and as such it is important for all patients to be aware of all of the options that are available to them in consideration of their disease and can provide them with the highest quality of life.

US NEWS AND WORLD REPORT BADGES

Florida’s Leading Academic Urology Program

Rated as High Performing Urology Program

Rated as High Performing in Prostate Cancer Surgery