I am pleased to announce that Benjy Canales, MD has agreed to serve as the Director of Urologic Research for the UF Department of Urology. As many of you know, for several years now Dr. Canales has already been fulfilling many duties regarding research oversight within our department and I thought it would only be fitting to formalize his role. As a surgeon-scientist, I believe that he has the right background, training and accomplishments to serve in this capacity.
His duties will include the following:
- Oversight of the DOU research group and lab, providing mentorship to PhDs and other lab personnel
- Oversight of fellow, resident and student research projects, submission to meetings and attendance
- Oversight of all IRB and statistical needs, personnel and support
- Monitor and provide assistance on all DOU grant applications
- Actively update and maintain DOU research webpage
- Post research activities, publications, abstract acceptances and successes on social media
Please join me in congratulating Dr. Canales for his assistance and leadership in this important role.
Li-Ming Su, MD
David A. Cofrin Professor of Urologic Oncology
Chairman, Department of Urology