Welcome to the website of the University of Florida (UF) Urology Residency Program in Gainesville, Florida and thank you for your interest.
Our program has been fully accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) and builds on an over 50 year history of training the finest urologists in the country, many of which have assumed leadership positions in the urological community and the academic world. Established as a Department (2006) in the burgeoning growth area of North Central Florida, we are uniquely poised to meet the educational needs of the urologist of the 21rst century.
Four Unique Strengths of the UF Urology Residency Program
- Faculty: Our core faculty are fellowship trained from centers of excellence around the country including: Johns Hopkins, Cleveland Clinic, Mayo Clinic, Vanderbilt, Washington University-St. Louis, University of Minnesota, University of Wisconsin, and others. As such, each faculty brings diversity to the residency program by offering different views and opinions about urologic practice patterns that augment resident education and experience.
- Training sites: Our program offers diverse training for our residents at three unique practice settings including Shands hospital (university-based practice), Malcolm Randall VA Hospital and community-based hospitals (Ocala). This allows residents to gain a very different perspective of health care delivery in each of these unique settings.
- Surgical techniques: Due to the diverse faculty practice patterns and preferences, we offer comprehensive and balanced training in all modalities of urologic surgery including open, laparoscopic, robotic, endoscopic and percutaneous treatments. We also offer simulation and animate lab training to augment robotic and laparoscopic skills.
- Resident rotations: To provide our residents with a comprehensive and enriched experience of each faculty’s unique practice, we have purposefully designed the resident rotations based upon a mentorship model whereby the residents are immersed in one particular urologic practice (e.g. oncology, stones, female/male reconstruction, peds) for a 3-4 month stretch of time. This provides the residents the opportunity to have continuity of care with patients in the preop, intraop and postoperative setting. In addition, the mentorship model of rotations provides the ideal setting by which residents can focus and hone their surgical skills, whether it be in open, laparoscopic, endoscopic or robotic surgery.
- Faculty mentors: Each PGY-2 resident is allowed to select a faculty mentor who serves as an advisor during their residency, providing guidance in research, education, case log management, and career planning.
Responsiveness to resident concerns: As resident education practice and policies have changed over the years, our department has been very receptive to resident concerns and needs by meeting twice a year to evaluate the resident program’s pros and cons. During these retreats, residents participate and provide important insight into conferences, work hours, research, and educational initiatives, often with changes made in the program to improve our educational goals.
- We have a young and vibrant faculty who are all invested in the educational mission of our residency program. We have great synergy between faculty and great collegiality with the residents and staff, which we celebrate with annual resident welcoming reception, holiday party, graduation event, golf and fishing outings, visiting professorships and unique events such as Movember in support of Men’s Health Month.
Defining Features of the UF Urology Residency Program
- A highly motivated academic faculty of national and international prominence that is strongly dedicated to resident education
- A large and growing surgical case volume that covers the entire spectrum of urological diseases including oncology, stone disease, female urology, benign prostatic hyperplasia, infertility, and sexual dysfunction
- A dedicated minimally-invasive training program that teaches both pure laparoscopic as well as robotic-assisted techniques
- A strong focus on multidisciplinary, evidence-based patient care and continuous quality improvement
- Exceptional opportunities to participate in basic science, translational, and clinical research, mentored by world class research faculty
- An outstanding team of highly trained residents of diverse backgrounds and interests that stand in the forefront of providing safe, compassionate patient care of the highest possible quality
We are strongly committed to excellence in residency training and strive to provide every resident with an outstanding learning environment that allows them to meet their fullest clinical, academic, and personal potential. In the context of a competency-based curriculum, we provide a strong clinical and operative experience, a comprehensive didactic program, and hands-on resident involvement in research and surgical innovation.
It is with a great sense of accomplishment that we congratulate our graduating residents who have contributed so greatly to the success of our program. While leaving the physical walls of our institution, they remain closely connected to us through the UroGator Alumni Society. Around the same time each year, we welcome a new class of aspiring urologists, with great hope and anticipation.