All residents participate in the on-call schedule. They cover UF Health Shands Hospitals, UF Health Shands Pediatric Hospital, and the Malcom Randall Veterans Affairs Medical Center.
Weekly Schedule In-House Night Float Call
During this time residents are caring for inpatients, evaluating inpatient and ER consults, and participating in emergency operative cases.
- PGY-1 to PGY-3 residents cover in-house night float which is from 6:00 pm to 6:00 am Sunday night through Saturday morning.
- PGY-3’s cover in-house night float for 4 weeks.
- PGY-2’s cover in-house night float for 8 weeks.
- PGY-1’s cover in-house night float for approximately 6 weeks.
Weekly Schedule In-House Weekend Call
- When not on night float, PGY-2 and PGY-3 residents cover in-house weekend call for 24 hours (6:00 am-6:00 am) on Saturday and 12 hours (6:00 am-6:00 pm) on Sunday. This translates into having every third weekend off.
- When not on night float and rotating on urology, the PGY -1’s will round in the morning one weekend day.
Home Call Schedule
- PGY-4 and PGY-5 residents take home call backing up the night float call person or weekend call person.
- On weeknights, the senior residents will be available for any emergency operative cases.
- On weekends, senior residents will lead rounds on the inpatient and consult services and be available for emergency operative cases.
- For the PGY-4 and PGY-5 residents this translates to approximately 43 weekends off per year.